Your first doctor appointment
When going to the your first doctor appointment after being diagnosed with cancer you should have your questions ready and written and have family member or a close friend with you
here is an idea of some question you might want to ask:
What kind of cancer do I have?
Where is the cancer?
Has it spread?
Can my cancer be treated?
- Do i need to take more tests?
What is the chance that my cancer can be cured?
What other tests or procedures do I need?
What are my treatment options?
How will the treatment benefit me?
What can I expect during treatment?
What are the side effects of the treatment?
- Can I keep take other medicine while in treatment?
What can I do to prevent my cancer from recurring?
How likely are my children or other family members to get cancer?
Will I have to take time away from work?
Will my friends and family need to take time away from work to be with me?
Question to be discussed with your medical insurance provider
Will my insurance pay for these treatments?
Will my insurance cover the cost of medications?
How much will my out-of-pocket costs be?
If insurance won’t pay for my treatment, are there assistance programs that can help?
Do I qualify for disability benefits?
How does my diagnosis affect my life insurance?
Going To tests or treatments
- make sure you to ask your doctor or nurse many details about your upcoming test or treatments since sometimes errors happen
- When going to treatment or test make sure that you know where you need to be.
- have your doctor or nurse phone number handy if there are questions about the test or treatment.
- find out if you need to bring a doctor referral.
- how long will the test or treatment will take.
- Can you eat or drink before the test or treatment?
- Do you need to do any preparation?
- find out if you will be able to drive after the test or treatment.
- Find out what the expect after the test or treatment,side effects etc.
- As a rule it always good to have a family member with you.
- If you go for a test check when the results will be available.